Thursday, May 27, 2010
Traditional Benchmarks
I can't remember exactly where in college I had heard this from, but a professor once professed that in literature, you should write a million words before you start to write. The implication is that once you have written those 1,000,000 words, you will have harnessed your style of writing, as well as worked out your own common writing flaws.
I'm trying to justify whether or not I have met this goal, as I am looking to get published this year. Have I written 1,000,000 words in my life. Yes, I know this without a moments pause for doubt. The question is, have I written a million words on the path to better and serious writing. Discount chat room conversation, discount friendly e-mails and texts and light thread posts and computer coding; discount all those words that are not a serious investment in literature.
After all those words are tossed aside, what is left. Letters, stories, reports, informational and recreational articles, thesis papers, serious forum content, formal e-mails and I would believe that all the words written under the teachings of the K-12 + College English program would count, as well as any writing done in a secondary language.
Though I have yet to complete anything for formal publishing, my wide array of half finished texts probably push me over the top of 1,000,000 words. I am by no means pushing this obstacle in the way of any writer other than myself. It is a large goal to contemplate. I say that if you find you have passed this mark and are not submitting serious writing to some sort of a publisher, you should so that the audience of the world can have a look at your sharpened pen.
I'm trying to justify whether or not I have met this goal, as I am looking to get published this year. Have I written 1,000,000 words in my life. Yes, I know this without a moments pause for doubt. The question is, have I written a million words on the path to better and serious writing. Discount chat room conversation, discount friendly e-mails and texts and light thread posts and computer coding; discount all those words that are not a serious investment in literature.
After all those words are tossed aside, what is left. Letters, stories, reports, informational and recreational articles, thesis papers, serious forum content, formal e-mails and I would believe that all the words written under the teachings of the K-12 + College English program would count, as well as any writing done in a secondary language.
Though I have yet to complete anything for formal publishing, my wide array of half finished texts probably push me over the top of 1,000,000 words. I am by no means pushing this obstacle in the way of any writer other than myself. It is a large goal to contemplate. I say that if you find you have passed this mark and are not submitting serious writing to some sort of a publisher, you should so that the audience of the world can have a look at your sharpened pen.
Labels:
000,
000 words,
1,
book planning,
literature,
million words,
novel,
publishing,
writing
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment